Re: [tlug] As a writing tool...

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:02:17 +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote

> Thanks!  That works great within Mozilla, but I'm still experiencing
> a problem carrying things over to/from another application - in this
> case EditPad Pro.  I guess this is what I get for attempting to use

I  know about EditPad Pro, but the standard X clipboard should do fine with
most app.

> an application that was originally developed for the W-platform.

There you are.

>  I'll now start testing some of those text editors that were
> recommended to me.  One question though - what is going on with the
> situation where I can copy one thing over to EditPad Pro, but then
> that one single item is stuck in the clipboard (correct term?) and
> can't be replaced with something else?  Do things typically copy-
> paste well from application to application within Linux, or should I
> change my work method and avoid trying to carry text from one
> application to another?

I think that if you want to get into the linux world, you'll have
to get your self used to have less "luxury" than what you had with
M$ products. I often explain to my friends ("I think I've stolen
this from some one on the list"). You could roughly compare Linux
and M$ as a Ferrary F1 car and a VMW 760 road car, in order to put
all the performance on your hands Ferrary have eliminated all the
luxuries and sacrificed all the comfortability, while VMW have put
their attention on comfortability. Of course  VMW tried to keep
certain balance in order to deliver good performance as well but
thats the difference between VMW and M$, Microsoft have long
forgotten that people need "NOT ONLY COMFORTABILITY" but reliability
and performance as well. Now, some people might start suggesting
Graphical application that will help you feel more like in a M$ type
of environment, but in my opinion that will be equivalent to trying
to add "electric windows and leather seats" to an F1 car , you'll
of course end up being able to do that, but you will obviously use
a lot of resources of your machine plus you'll put in danger it's
reliability.

But wait, thats what I think ...There is many people trying very hard
to bring Linux to the End-Users-Desktop", and they will disagree with
my opinion, so maybe you should also listen to others.
But one thin I sure... I have got so conftible using text based apps
that could even tell you that CLI vs GUI is just a matter of
"GETTING USE TO", there is so much you can do to improve
confortability in a text environment  that could make CLI as comfortable
as a VMW 760 :)

For me, eliminating confortability to get  Performance+Reliability is a good deal.

Again, this is my humble opinion...

Good luck!

//mauro//