Re: [tlug] iptable blocking IP addresses

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:12:44 +0100, Fredric Fredricson <fredric@example.com>
wrote:

> Excuse me for de-lurking with this, probably stupid, question:
>
> Are you suggesting that if you knew the ip-address of
> some sites you could use this to identify spam, or at
> least potential spam?
> Simply to good to be true.

In short, yes.

Some ISPs have a (well-earned) reputation for hosting shady outfits.
Examples which come to mind are:

Chinanet Guangdong(GD) / Hubei(HB) / Fujian(FJ)
kornet
thrunet
nac.net/pwebtech.net(*)
burst.net(**)
above.net
UUNet/MCI/WorldScum/Whatever_they're_calling_themselves_this_week
Hurricane Electric (he.net)
cubexs.net.pk
vsnl.net
rackspace.com(***)
verio.net(***)
etc.

From a statistical standpoint, anything coming from the IP space of these
networks will be spam, and any e-mail referring to a website hosted on these
networks will be spam. Some of it will be legitimate, sure, but I still
don't want it. What I *do* want is for legit, above-board clients of these
rogue ISPs who use them as human shields to turn around and either light a
fire under the ISP so that it cleans its act up or to move to a clean
nethood.

(*) - Tried to clean up of late but their abusedesk critter, Alex, got his
foot stuck in his mouth while trying to suck out the bullets after they took
on another ROKSO-listed spammer.

(**) - Strided into NANAE and openly said "Fsck you, we're keeping our
spammers". The Internet Death Penalty has been applied.

(***) - Have been making a real effort to clean up and I wish them the best
of luck. There's still a way to go, though.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.4.24)