Re: [tlug] Linux in Pakistan (WAS: some hijacked thread)

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:22:07PM -0800, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Yeah, I hear that.  It recently became available in Viet Nam, at least
> in Ho Chi Minh City (probably Ha Noi too, I suppose), but the cost
> is impossible for most people.

One of the companies even dropped their prices for home users to compete
with 24h dialup connections, but the setup costs still kept that from
becoming popular.

> They're becoming more and more common in the United States now, too.

That's why I route all non-ssh and non-http traffic over dialup. One
Linux CD typically takes 2-3 days to download that way without
interfering with other important work.

> That sounds like a promising business.  I hope it works out really
> well for you.  When's the IPO? ;-)

Funny you should ask. I *just* received my shares of Pakistan's biggest
company (Oil and Gas) which IPO'd 2 months ago. Quite a few others are
doing it this year. IPO fever is just starting so going public isn't as
far-fetched an idea as I had imagined when I started last year.

Still, don't expect to hear anything about that for another 5 years or
so.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
iinix Solutions (http://www.iinix.com/)