Re: [tlug] Trying...(+IroIro)

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:25:14AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

>out one... say Bluefish maybe?

IIRC, Bluefish is an HTML editor.

If you're looking for GUI text editors and using KDE, Kedit is the basic
one and Kate is the advanced text editor.

However, I do stongly recommend learning a non-graphical text editor.
If you've never used one before, you can try out Pico (the editor used
by the Pine mail client), however, jumping in at the deep end with vi
(or any of its variants such as vim or nvi) might be best.  If something
bad happens (self-inflicted or otherwise) and you're using rescue tools to
recover your system, vi is the most common editor you will find.  As Josh
noted, it's great for editing config files, writing mail, stuff like that.
Even if you settle on something else as your main editor, learning at least
the basics of vi is a valuable life skill on *nix.

There are many free, beginner-oriented pages on vi, and O'Reilly even has
an entire book on it.  Gogole will help you find the free resources.  Look
for "vi beginner" or something like that.

>Actually, what I use for a text editor on EE-boxes is EditPad Pro, and they

What's EE-boxes?  If it's an advanced GUI-style text editor, take a look
at Kate, it probably covers the same functionality.

>Re: "1) DO NOT HIJACK THREADS  2) DO NOT TOP-POST  Just don't."
>
>I didn't do either, did I?

Well, let me put it this way: do you think I'd mention it if you hadn't?
You hit reply, changed the subject, and blithely typed away.  That is
thread hijacking.

And Shawn and Martin!  You - who both most certainly ought to know better -
did it before Lyle did in the same thread.  It started out as a newcomer
self-intro, then was hijacked by Shawn to talk about Linguistics and
hijacked again by Martin to talk about Python.  Only after that did Lyle
hijack it.  He probably thought it was OK because two people who ought to
be setting good examples for others failed to do so.

>tend to put my own title to most of the things I write - unless it's a
>strict answer-only reply to something.  I understand about not using titles

The rule - and this is part of the "don't hijack threads" principle - is that
if you have something new to say, start a new thread.  "Start a new thread"
means you create a new message from scratch in your mail client.  Simply
replying to an existing thread, changing the title to what you want to talk
about now and blithely going on your way, is thread hijacking.  I could
send you a screenshot of what the thread where you posted your OpenOffice.org
MIME types question looks like, but you would probably run away screaming if
you saw it :-)

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9