[tlug] Don't Hijack Threads/OO.org MIME types

I believe I have an answer to your question, but first...

...a warning about thread hijacking.  Within the last week, someone got a public
and ungentle slapdown for thread hijacking (within the last week), instead of
learning from that, you have instead hijacked a thread  yourself.

Speaking in my official capacity as a TLUG Moderator, to anyone who is
still clueless about basic netiquette after all the times the listmaster
and others have written about it, I have this to say:

1) DO NOT HIJACK THREADS

2) DO NOT TOP-POST

Just don't.

That is the most basic netiquette, please follow it.  If anyone doesn't know
what those things mean and can't find out on his/her own (hint: Google is your
friend) we are happy to answer questions.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 06:33:22PM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

>Icon sitting on the desktop.  But, if I just double-click on one of the
>files I've made with OpenOffice Writer, it opens a new folder with seven
>(seven!) separate files!  What's that about and can I make the files
>openable just by clicking on them?  I'm using Suse 9.0.

You don't mention it, but I'm guessing that you're using KDE, and the answer
below is specific to KDE.  If you're not using KDE, there's doubtless a
similar procedure for GNOME.

I experimented to see if I could duplicate this (I could, in Debian
Sid).  I have never used Konqueror as a file manager (something I think
it does fairly poorly compared to, say, a shell), so I had no idea this problem
existed.  Once I knew, I said "To the Google cave, Robin!" and typed
"openoffice.org file association kde" and got this answer:

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-kde/2003-Nov/0016.html

It's even from the suse-kde mailing list.  Google is your friend.

I haven't tested it yet because like I said, I never use Konqueror as a file
manager, but if you have any problems making it work, get back to us (please
start a new thread :-) and I or someone will try to help you through it.

HTH,

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9