Re: [tlug] SevenFilesFromOneOpnOf?

On 2004.2.21, at 06:33  PM, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> I've popped in and out of here - always commenting that I'm gradually
> migrating over to Linux, but this time I really am putting more weight
> on the foot standing on the Linux ship (hoping the two ships don't
> suddenly lurch and dump into the deep and unfriendly ocean).

Just curious, Lyle, but by the above, do you mean that you are
"migrating" over to Linux for *home* use?  Or, are you saying that you
will soon be using only Linux *at work*?

I find that I can't escape from Windows at work.  In the various kaisha
that I've worked for, Windows was always part of the infrastructure.
At present I look after a W2K Advanced Server cluster (file and print),
a W2K/SQL Server 2000 database, a WNT4.0/Lotus Notes mail server, etc.
as well as a HP-UX box.  I do have a Linux box at work but it plays
only a minor role as an SMTP server for a certain app (that runs on
W2K).  I don't make the choice of OS; IT headquarters in the US make
all the architectural standards decisions -- that's life in a giant
multi-national, I guess.  At home I have a W2K Pro PC, a Win98 PC that
dual boots RH Linux, and a Mac OS X machine (which I find I use more
often than the others)...

What I'm saying is that I can't imagine a *Windows free* corporate IT
environment -- one that is purely Linux.  Does anyone here in this
mailing list live in such an ideal (i.e. "Windows free") env't? ;-)

Best Regards,

Raymond