[tlug] losing network on Debian kernel recompiles/updates

I've begun to notice in my two months of using Debian, that every time I
attempt a kernel upgrade/recompile, I lose my (DHCP) network connection,
and have difficulty getting it back. At first, I had been attributing
the problem to an odd network card, but now it has also happened to me
on some other machines, and I realize that I must be missing out on
something that I should be doing.

When I recompile the kernel, I always make sure to select the module for
the NIC I am using. But when I restart, it won't connect. When I run
pppoeconf, I get a message to the effect that the NIC is already being
accessed and so it can't be configured. So I am guessing that my system
is somehow starting up the network using some configuration in the old
kernel that is preventing proper access using the new kernel.

This happened to me the other day when I was trying to replace the MEPIS
on my main workstation with a pure Debian. The Dell Debian installer
kernel was a very minimal version, so I had no choice but to recompile
immediately to try to get anything at all working. There ended up being
a few other complications which I didn't have time to play with at that
moment, so I am back to MEPIS for the time being. But I would like to be
better prepared for the NIC problem next time I attempt a straight
Debian install and possible immediate kernel recompile.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University