Re: [tlug] Tar excluding some folders

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:52:12 +0900 (JST), Charles Muller
<acmuller@example.com> wrote:

> chuck>      tar cvzfP -X chuck-exclude /mnt/win_d/chuck.tar.gz
> /home/chuck
> shawn>
> shawn>     tar cvzfP /mnt/win_d/chuck.tar.gz -X chuck-exclude
> /home/chuck
> shawn> worked for me
>
> OK, it did for me too on the second try. For some reason the process
> stops
> for a while in the middle, and I had assumed that it was hung and
> aborted (it stops for a while on
>
> home/chuck #> -X
>
> )
>
> but when I just left it, it started again and ran through to the end.

did you check the archive?

I think when I tried it your way I ended up with a -X named archive.

So I put the achive name before the exclude file option

     tar cvzfP /mnt/win_d/chuck.tar.gz -X chuck-exclude  /home/chuck

no hanging at all

--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/