[tlug] Tar excluding some folders

For the first time I'm trying to make a tarball excluding certain
subfolders. I've read the tar man page and a couple of books and things
on the web on this. I can find instructions on the exclusion commands,
but no full example of something like what I want to do.

I want to tarzip /home/chuck except for folders that I have listed in
the file "chuck-exclude" like this:

/home/chuck/Desktop
/home/chuck/.kde
/home/chuck/evolution
...  etc.

The basic targz argument, without the exclusion, would be:

    tar cvzfP /mnt/win_d/chuck.tar.gz  /home/chuck

Thus far, I've tried the following three arguments, but none of them run
correctly:

     tar cvzfP -X chuck-exclude /mnt/win_d/chuck.tar.gz  /home/chuck

     tar cvzfP /mnt/win_d/chuck.tar.gz -X chuck-exclude /home/chuck

     tar cvzfPX chuck-exclude /mnt/win_d/chuck.tar.gz /home/chuck

Any hints would be appreciated.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University