Re: [tlug] printserver setup.. how?

On Friday 23 January 2004 11:08, KAMBARA, Shin wrote:
> > does anyone know how to setup a "Buffalo LPV2-T1" print server.. all the
> > directions are in Japanese and I've been trying for the last 3 weeks. if
> > possible step by step instructions would be nice..
>
> here is an easy translation from buffalo's web site.
> hope this instruction would help you...
>

> Factory default settings.
> ----------------------------
> MAC Address:       Printed on a sticker of LPV2's back side.
> Print Server Name: PS-xxxxxx
> Printer Port Name: PS-xxxxxx-P1
> Port Number:       515
> IP Address:        (Automatically get from DHCP/BOOTP/RARP Server)
> * xxxxxx means last 6 characters of its MAC Address.
>
> How to print
> 1. Set LPV2's IP Address.
>    format: arp -s [IP Address] [MAC Address]
>    example) arp -s 192.168.0.123 00:60:1D:23:BA:42
>
>    caution!
>    IP Address must be set except '1.1.1.1'.
>    If the Address is set so, LPV2 can not accept a print command.
>
> 2. Test the setting.
>    format: ping [IP Address]
>    example) ping 192.168.0.123
>
> 3. Edit '/etc/hosts' file.
>    Add the line below.
>    format: [IP Address] [Domain Name] [AirP's Server Name]
>    example) 192.168.0.123 LPV.melcoinc.co.jp LPV
>
> 4. Edit '/etc/printcap' file.
>    Add the line below.
>    example)
>    LPV | LPV Line printer\:lp=:rm=LPV:sd=/usr/spool/LPV:rp=PS-23BA42-P1:
>
>    lp(local printer):
>      Specify a device name of local printer.
>      Doesn't need to specify for network printer.
>    rm(remote PC)
>      Specify LPV host name, or LPV's IP Address.
>    sd(spool directory)
>      Specify spool directory.
>      The directory *should be prepared* before printing.
>    rp(remote printer)
>      Specify connected port of printer.
>
> 5. Enable settings.
>    format: lpc restart [AirP's Server Name]
>    lpc restart LPV
>
> 6. Do print.
>    lpr -PLPV <file name>
>
> --
> Penguin

Kambara-san,

First I want to say I'm sorry for replying so late.. the info (above) helped a
great deal.. the good LORD guided me to read you infomation sheet and the
problem smacked me right in the face.. the IP address! after I changed it all
worked perfectly! I have both M$ and MDK printing to the network printer now.
but something I DON'T understand.. I did not have to edit any files!! like
you suggested #3 & #4. was this done automatically? oops, I just checked #4
was done automatically.

Now that I got the hang of it I'm going for a 3 print server.. question, is
setting a 3 printer server done the same way as a single print server?

Thanks again.

sincerely,

Grasshopper