Re: [tlug] RedHat 7.2 -> 9 Upgrade... stuff broke

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 04:37:22PM +0900, Brett Robson wrote:

>> I wish we had had you at Khe Shang.
>>

>That was inappropritae, sorry Jonathon.

<OT>
Accepted.  To be sure, I have fairly clear opinions as to who
was on the right side there.  Nobody who came after the French learned
a darned thing from their experience.  Ironically, Ho Chi Minh's
nearest counterpart in US history, both in his position in his country
and his goals for his country, is none other than George Washington.
Amazing that we wound up backing colonialist France against those who
were fighting for independence far more than they were fighting for
communism.  Indeed, it was being blown off by the US when he wanted help
that committed Bac Ho irrevocably to communism.  If we had said "Sure,
we see that you are a freedom fighter and we'll take your side against
the French" who knowns what might have been accomplished thereby?
If the United States had been his number one benefactor instead of
the USSR, it might have influenced his outlook tremendously.  Still,
he did well for his country anyway and it now has more prosperity
than it has ever had before.  If you go to Viet Nam, you will find that
Vietnamese revere Bac Ho at least as much as we Americans revere George
Washington.  Probably more.  His is the only picture on their currency,
and any small child (my daughter could point him out on currency well before
she was 1 year old) can identify his picture.
</OT>

And a quickie on-topic segue into Linux, I think Linux is still slowly
building steam in VN. MS will no doubt continue to ignore the 90%+
illegal copying rate of their software (along with just about everyone
else's) in VN rather than give up that market share to Linux, but
in the long run, I think Linux will make good headway in Viet Nam,
event though at one or two dollars for a CD, Windows is practically
free as in beer at any CD-ROM shop.

See, I can twist anything into topicality ;-)

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9