Re: [tlug] printserver setup.. how?

On Friday 23 January 2004 02:08 am, gavin wrote:

>  my wife did her best to translate the instructions,

Did you see the translation that someone (sorry, I can't recall who; that mail
is on my other machine) posted here?  It looked fairly thorough, maybe it
will help.

> all seems correct but no action.. this is from the windows printer..
> 3 test pages are in que.. what should I check?

You mean they are queued on the Windows machine, waiting for the print server
to take them?

Going on that assumption - but please bear in mind that I have never even seen
a Buffalo print server and this is very general - check the following:

0) Does the printserver have a test print capability to make sure it's talking
to the printer?  If so, do that and see if you get a test page;

1) Ping the printserver.  If it doesn't answer, check its network
configuration.  If it does answer:

2) nmap the printserver, make sure it's actually listening on a printing port
(515 for lpd, 631 for ipp (e.g., CUPS).  If it's not, go back to the
printserver configuration and make sure it's set up correctly, including
accepting connections from your local net, if applicable.  If it is, then:

3) Make sure you're pointing Windows to the correct IP address and that
Windows sees it as a printer (you've probably already done this, but just
checking);

4) Try it on Linux and see if that works better :-)

Is this printerserver acting as an lpd server or an ipp server, or both?

If none of the above works, report back here with the most detailed findings
possible, including logs if you can (this is where setting it up on Linux
will help you; you might get something in your logs).

Jonathan
--
Linux is for productivity.  Windows is for solitaire.