Re: [tlug] Goatse is dead

On 2004.1.17, at 07:04  PM, Godwin Stewart wrote:

> Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:01:19 -0800 scripsit Jonathan Byrne:
>
>> When it comes to spam and scams, I've pretty much seen it all, from
>> the
>> real creativity of west African con men to[.....]
>
> Do you ever hang out in NANAE?
>
> They're quite a bunch of radicals in there and sometimes it's worth it
> just
> for the entertainment value. Of course, there's the odd troll or two
> who are
> no longer entertaining but they can be plonked easily enough.

Could someone please enlighten me on what is meant by "troll"?  I've
seen this word used a few times recently on this list and I'm really
curious as to the connotation.  What I know is that a "troll" in
cyber-speak is someone who likes to start flame wars in forums or
mailing lists.  Is this what is meant here?  And, what is NANAE, by the
way?  As for spam, the multi-national I work for has a "sophisticated"
spam-filtering system in place in our gateway in the US, and so I never
have to worry about the details of it in my work as an IT manager here
in Tokyo, except that the system isn't foolproof, and sometimes
legitimate emails get blocked, unfortunately (they say the reason is
because many Asian ISPs don't have adequate anti-spam measures in their
mail servers).  But I do get the daily dose of "medication"
advertisements and those "urgent" and "confidential" business proposals
from Dr. seseseko or something, etc. etc. in my private email...

Thanks,

Raymond