Re: [tlug] TLUG T-Shirts

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:02:14PM +0900, Shawn wrote:

>Like shadowman in mystery.  I thought you weren't so fond of RedHat

Yuck :-p

>Is simplicity really all that characteristic of *nix though?

Well, actually, yes.  Remember, one of the guiding principles of *nix
is "Do one thing and do it well."  That's where we got all of those
great tools whose output can be piped from one to another, yielding
the desired result.  A bunch of simple things working together.

All OSes are complex, of course, but there are some that make complexity
a way of life, and others that are as complex as they need to be
while emphasizing the simple and straightforward wherever possible.

Another example: we have text-based config files, a good number of
which are fairly human-readable.  That other OS has the Registry,
which is not human-readable, and one wonders whether even the machine
finds it obtuse :-)

>I like our logo too (http://www.tlug.jp/tlug_template/mcquillin3.png) and
>would be happy to see it with a helmet and the rising sun and the shrine

We may have to have more than one logo :-)  Perhaps Mauro's logo will be
the 10th Anniversary special, and the regular logo will be, well,
the regular logo.  If we make it the entire 10th Anniversary logo, I
suppose it can be scaled bigger, and have some text next to it like
"10th Anniversary 1994 - 2004" or something like that.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9