Re: [tlug] smoothwall/pppoe/ocn

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:12:14PM +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:

>That reminds me.  I've inferred that this mailing list used to be hosted on
>TWICS, but doesn't that mean that this mailing list had to be Kyoto Linux
>Users Group?

TLUG was indeed initially hosted on TWICS, but TWICS was always based
in Tokyo.  They used to be over around Ichigaya or Iidabashi, IIRC,
and later were bought by PSI Net and relocated to PSI's Tokyo
headquarters.  I believe PSI in turn sold all of its dialup ISP
businesses in Japan to someone else later.  There used to be someone
who worked or had worked at TWICS on the list, I think, but I
don't know if he's still around.

This brings up something we should consider.  None of the founders
of TLUG are with us anymore.  Some of the people who were at the install
of the first TLUG server at the old PHT (later TurboLinux) offce in
Umegaoka are still here, but most aren't very active.  We used to
have photos of that on the web site, but I can't find them now.
It's been remodeled since then and they may have fallen by the wayside.

TLUG is, as far as I can tell (and I have searched) Asia's oldest English-
language LUG, and just one of Tokyo's oldest LUGs period, I think.  Since
so many of the people who were there "back in the day" and remember TLUG's
history are no longer involved with TLUG, perhaps it is time we begin
a TLUG History section of the website, so that this old TLUG lore is
not lost.  I hope someone still has the photos of the first server install.

Webmaster, what do you think?  Can we open up a TLUG history section with
a timeline and relevant old photos?   As we collect them, perhaps we could
also add people's stories of the early days of TLUG.  I'm especially
interested in recording things that go back beyond when I came along.
I think Jim Tittsler is now the longest-standing TLUG member, so we'll be
calling on your recollections a lot, Jim, I'm sure.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9