Re: [tlug] Debian install and USB mouse

Jonathan wrote:

> It's a module,  not compiled into the kernel.  Remember modconf, the place
> where you can pick and choose various drivers during install, or thereafter?
> That's where you select it.  It may not be activated by default, I'm sorry
> I can't remember.  Installing Debian is something you don't often have to do
> again once you get it right, so my memory ggrows dim :-)

I've done a number of (attempted) pure Debian (i.e., no Mepis or
Knoppix) installs over the past few weeks, and one more today (Woody
bf24), and I'm fairly certain that no option for a USB mouse presents
itself during the install process. Some pages say to be sure to select
[inputdev/mice] or some such during the install (as opposed to the PS2
etc. option) but in the install I did today, that didn't do the trick
either. I also had an Nvidia hangup, along with a few other minor
hassles at the same time, so for the mouse, I just plugged on the PS2
adapter for the time being so that I could deal with the video card and
the minor issues.

I did quite a few 2.4x kernel compilations over the past couple of weeks
in the process of trying to get the NIC working on my Clevo laptop, and
I noticed that under the USB section, mouse was ticked off by default, but I
don't know if this is the same thing you're talking about.

Anyhow, today I *finally* got a fully functioning plain Debian installation set
up on my old Dell XPS 800 (aside from this mouse thing, which I'm not
going to deal with today), so I'm delighted about that.

I still can't get anywhere on my newer Dell XPS 8250, which locks up at
the moment the installer makes the transition from Text to Graphic mode
on the install. I've tried every boot option available, especially
framebuffer switches, and Dell-specific APIC type things.

Since I already have Debian on the machine with Mepis, it's not a
terribly pressing matter at the moment. But I noticed--and it was
confirmed on the Mepis list--that when one does "apt-get upgrade" it can
mess up some Mepis-specific settings, especially with the xdm, so I'm
pretty much inclined to keep working toward a pure Debian setup. When I
get serious about solving it, I'll probably go back on the Debian Users
list and bother those guys. But if anyone here has a suggestion, I'm all
ears.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University