Re: [tlug] Link on OS security problems

> Hi,
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13420
>
> ( from this link, it looks like Linux distributions seem to have more
> security holes than MS)
>
> Could somebody help me interpret this?
>
> thanks,
> Sanjay

I am no expert but from reviewing MS vunerabilities and Linux ones I
feel there is a fair major differences in them.

Many of the Linux ones are "so and so when reviewing the code realized that
well crafted code running locally could that exploit a vunerablity and
gain root access", ie you have to have to get your code running under a
process first. Most of these are fixed before an exploit is ever created.

Whereas with a lot of the MS ones, remote users can can access. The
patch comes out after it has already been exploited.

Also we have no idea about proprietary systems, comparing reported
figures is misleading, we wouldn't even know about most of them. I know
for a fact that IBM mainframes had backdoors, they probably still do;
anyone with know how can gain access to one.

Happy akemashite

Brett