Re: [tlug] Re: Happy New Year

On Jan 6, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Masato BITO wrote:

> [snip]
> Yes, you're right.  Aurora Linux is the best choice as a RedHat
> distro. Alternatively we have Debian/SPARC which seems to work fine.

	On an amusing anecdote.   I remember years ago getting Linux onto a
Sparc IPC with Redhat 6 or 7 something or other.  One of the things I
found
amusing was how much cruft Red hat wanted to install.  After
installation
for some reason login would always take a century (even  for such old
hardware).
Never did figure it out since I installed NetBSD on after a few days of
trying
to make it a simple console server.    Since I only wanted a minimal
environment I was amazed at how nice, small, and fast (the login
actually
was quick) it was.

> [snip]
> Honestly I'm sick of Solaris. Solaris's poor basic commands always
> annoy me. I want to type cp -a or find with no argument and so on.
> In Solaris, in order to use those useful GNU tools I have to install
> each app each time.

	Been there, still keep doing that :-)

"Technology carries with it a responsibility that we
are obliged to consider" -Arthur C. Clarke