Re: [tlug] Question On Server and Enterprise software ( HappyNew Year)

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 02:30, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2004 05:46 am, Sanjay Chigurupati wrote:
>
> > 1) With Linux, is it advisable to run ftp/ http or any server software on a
> > regular desktop?
>
> That depends?  How important is the website in question, and how concerned
> about the security of both your workstation and your website are you?  If the
> answer is "very" to both of those, use dedicated machines.  Also, if it's
> high-traffic site (in which case the answer is probably already "very"), use
> dedicated machines.
>
> > 3) Redhat and Suse come out with server editions like Advanced server ,
> > Enterprise server. Which are the situations in which they can be used?
>
> When your boss won't let you use Debian.  Other situations might include when
> you are using Oracle and you need/want Oracle support.  AFAIK Red Hat
> Enterprise Server is the only platform certified by Oracle (at least in the
> US; when I was in Japan, I seem to recall that Miracle Linux had been
> purchased by Oracle and was used as their reference distro).
>

> >  What could be the limitations if I were to use general Linux instead of
> > these special editions?
>
> None, except special situations like the Oracle case mentioned above.  In
> fact, the Enterprise editions tend to be more limiting.  For example, with
> Red Hat Enterprise, you are required to use only RH's binary packgages, at
> least if you want support.  If you have compiled your own kernel and then
> call up RH for support, the answer will be along the lines of "Go back to the
> standard Red Hat kernel and see if it fixes the problem.  If it doesn't, then
> we can help you.  If it does, ticket closed."
>
> Mandrake enjoys a (well-deserved) reputation for being an HWS (Hood Welded
> Shut) Linux, but as far as I'm concerned, the "Enterprise Editions" are far
> worse on that score."
>
> HTH,
>
> Jonathan

	I am installing and working with Linux in Enterprises.  Sad to say but
a few use SuSE Pro, others require Either Red Hat or SuSE Enterprise
(they are both Oracle Certiifed)
	I am having trouble pitching Debian to them which is actually funny.
They all want free but they all also want 100% support from the
Distro-so they usually opt for the enterprise and then complaign that
its not free--My opinion deal with it some people do not understand that
its how you configure the system that makes it stable and secure (in
those cases let them pay for the enterprise) for the informed give them
the option to save a fortune by offering Debian, or one of the more
affordable solutions.

--
David Blomberg
AIS, APS, ASE, CCNA, LCP, LCA, Linux+, LPI I, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, RHCE, Server+