Re: [tlug] Question On Server and Enterprise software ( Happy NewYear)

Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:16:17 +0530 scripsit Sanjay Chigurupati:

> Happy New Year to everyone.

Same to you :)

> 1) With Linux, is it advisable to run ftp/ http or any server software on
> a regular desktop?

FTP - I can't think why.

HTTP, yes. If, for example, you're developing a website then you're going to
want to try it out in a real webserver environment - especially if it's
written in PHP or Perl and serves as a front-end to a MySQL or PostgreSQL
database. If it uses CGI you need to run it in a server environment over an
HTTP connection as well.

> 2) If so, which are the situations in which we can use a desktop machine
> as server

See above

> and which are the situations in which we should use a server machine?

You should always use a dedicated server in a production environment. You
don't want to host a company's website on one of the desktop machines in an
office because you have no control whatsoever over what moronic actions the
user of that desktop box will take, like clearing out the directory
containing the website because they needed some space...

> 3) Redhat and Suse come out with server editions like Advanced server ,
> Enterprise server. Which are the situations in which they can be used? I
> have gone through the site and would really appreciate feedback from a
> person with experience on this.
>
>  What could be the limitations if I were to use general Linux instead of
> these special editions?

Tech support mainly.

If you build your own system you'll get no support from the distro
publisher.

If you splash out on an enterprise edition you get free tech support on the
phone for a certain period of time, maybe even 24/7, which is why it costs
so much.

You also get the assurance that third party written specifically for that
distro *will* run. e.g. Oracle supports RH AS and guarantees their DB will
run on that distro.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.4.23)