Re: [tlug] Japanese Word processor for linux

>   I was wondering if there was some kind of (ideally free) japanese word
> processor for linux that would let me create files in different japanese
> encoding formats like NJStar or JWPce do for windows.

OpenOffice will do that for you -- just save it as encoded text an
deselect "automatic file extention".  You can then save it as
YourClassName.java and select from a few japanese encoding formats in a
little dialog box.

(note: OpenOffice 1.1.0 under RH9 had some input problems with Kanji so I
had to pop in canna from Fedora...so if you try and it crashes -- just ask
what to do.)

I also use jedit which is a common open source editor -- you are limited
to Shift_JIS with that though.

They both have created compilable java source files with Shift_JIS
encoding for me, but I am nice to them which may or may not have something
to do with it.

Also if you want the translation ability of JWPce, you can use jgloss
(check for it at sourceforge).  It is not an editor though, so doesn't
have the ability to save to other formats other than it's own or html, xml
etc but those won't help you with java source code.

> It may of course be that I just need to set my Java environment on linux
> correctly to allow me to compile the files - any suggestions very
> gratefully received.

If you do:

$ which javac

do you get anything back?

--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/