[tlug] Japanese Word processor for linux

Hi there,

I was looking back through the list archives for hints on how to input
japanese characters under linux.  I found various mails and this summary:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

I managed to get the kinput2 to work (I am using Redhat) but when I
tried to compile the java files I had edited, I got various illegal
character exceptions.

Basically the situation is that I have a framework that was written
under windows and makes use of some Japanese characters as Strings in
java files.  The encoding there is Shift_JIS and that all works fine.

I am now porting to linux and I would love to be able to run the exact
same program, ideally with Shift_JIS characters - checking the code out
of Perforce onto my Linux box seems to leave the Shift_JIS characters
unreadable.  I was wondering if there was some kind of (ideally free)
japanese word processor for linux that would let me create files in
different japanese encoding formats like NJStar or JWPce do for windows.

It may of course be that I just need to set my Java environment on linux
correctly to allow me to compile the files - any suggestions very
gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

CHEERS> SAM