Re: [tlug] rpm vs deb

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:12:09 +0900, Shuji SUZUKI
<shuji@example.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm using RedHat9 as my home web server.
> I'm currently interested in migrating to Debin.
>
> I want to know the major difference between rpm and deb.
> For me, I don't cleary understand the good and bad point of the both
> package systems.

Is that the best comparison to make?

Redhat is going to Yum for Fedora which is more similar to APT.  There are
many discussion of the benefits of each if you look through the list at
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list and search for "apt vs
yum"

There is also a kinda detailed comparison at
http://kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/

Reading through them, it seems like they are similar.  The downside (and I
dk how bad it is) is the Yum is said to be slower while for Apt (and I dk
how big a problem this really turns out to be) is that supposedly

"Apt works well most of the time but goes berserk on
occasion (kernel, glibc, when several versions of the package are
availible)."

Clearly either APT or YUM are better than stock rpm at least in terms of
ease of use for me.

I am not such an expert though but I use both rpm and apt (via the
synaptic front end) for my system.  Apt is nice since it will take care of
dependencies but sometimes I had to use rpm since the package I wanted
wasn't available via APT.  For deb though, that woulnd't be a problem I
assume.

--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/