[tlug] OpenOffice 1.1 (and a big step, in my opinion)

As of 1.0, OpenOffice couldn't open Japanese documents created in
Microsoft Word. (This was on all English machines, both *nix and MS with
Japanese support).

I remember vaguely, some discussion on this list about it, with, IIRC
various workarounds that seemed too much trouble at the time.

At any rate, the 1.1 binaries for FreeBSD 5.x, rc5 I think, installed
without great difficulty--a couple of minor glitches, but figured out
without much trouble at 1:00 AM, so I'm saying installed easily.  Until
now, there had been various glitches with 1.1 and FreeBSD that I
couldn't solve.

OpenOffice 1.1 now, without further configuration
(save for enabling Japanese support) opens MS Word 2000
docs in Japanese without problem.

So, thought I'd pass that along for those who have tried in the past.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Wesley: I can't tell you how sorry I am that I allowed this to happen.
Cordelia: I believe it was Faith who allowed her elbow to collide with
my face.

Wesley: At least you only got the elbow.
Cordelia: Well, if it's any consolation, it looks like you were
tortured by a much larger woman