Re: [tlug] System management software?

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:39:50 +0900
Larry Stanbery <lstanber@example.com> wrote:

> Well, after about two days of Google'ing for answers, hopefully I can
> draw on the collective knowledge of you folks...
>
> We're looking at *shudder* WinXP for a class lab environment (can't
> convince the higher-ups that Linux gives us what we want -- they
> believe it's just for servers and geeks).  I'm trying to find some
> sort of software that gives us the ability to lock those machines down
> so that malicious activities get cleaned up after reboot.
>
> I've searched on PXE boot, lab mangement software, windows, linux,
> etc.
>   I get pages and pages of garbage that doesn't help.  I've also
> "dreamed up" a scenario wherein I'd use GRUB to boot a small
> environment to simply do disk-mirroring ("dd") from a Linux partition
> (invisible to Windows) onto the "main" partition (of course, I'd have
> to write some software to do this, likely, or seriously tweak a Linux
> environment to do it).  Another possibility is to do PXE boot and
> serve up an image from my Linux server to the client -- though I'd
> have to figure out just how long that would take, etc., and how it
> would play in a 20-seat lab with all of the machines firing at once
> (tried doing Mac NetBoot using Linux server, but ran into trouble with
> the time it took to download and with trying to fire numerous tftp
> sessions).
>
> Many thanks for your thoughts.
>
> - - - - - - - -
> Larry Stanbery, RHCE
> GPG Key ID: 2CEFA662

You might want to try partimage (http://www.partimage.org/) or g4u
(http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/), or this link seems to be doing something
similair to what you want (http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/CoPs/patagonia/)

I haven't actually used any of these, but am currently investigating a
similair setup for our office, so any feedback on them would be
appreciated.

Stu

P.S. Hi Scott, I'm still around but real life keeps intruding into my
online time. I also brought a zaurus so I've been playing with that a
lot too.
--
GnuPG KeyID 1607E7F7
Key fingerprint = 5C38 AA94 A4C1 6AAF 0EE4  C089 EE01 193D 1607 E7F7