RE: [tlug] Backup to IDE HD instead of Tape

Well, its actually very fast.  The file server backup is incremental by
using rsync.  After syncronisation I copy the whole backup with "cp -al". So
in effect only changed files are copied, for all others hard links are
created.

Wed Sep 17 20:00:01 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:00:01 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:00:02 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:00:38 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:01:21 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:06:01 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:06:21 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:07:15 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:27:29 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:27:32 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:27:33 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:27:34 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:27:36 JST 2003
Wed Sep 17 20:27:36 JST 2003

This is a typical log for backup of all servers around 20G in total. 3.8 Gig
are written directly (not logged here) from the MS Exchange server to a file
using samba.

Other interesting stats:Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted
on
/dev/root             3.7G  279M  3.3G   8% /
/dev/sda5             3.7G  1.1G  2.5G  29% /usr
/dev/sda6             460G   65G  396G  14% /srv
none                   46M     0   46M   0% /dev/shm

Monthly Backup is to remote tape using XFS, which takes rather long, due to
XFSDUMP integrity checks, and the ssh tunneling I suppose.  The job started
at 8:00h morning and finished at  12:35h, so about 4 1/2 hours.

xfsdump -L 2003-8_Monthly -s backup/Weekly.1 - /srv | ssh uljptyo0004 "cat >
/dev/st0"