Re: [tlug] Linux vs Mac - the fight for 2nd place

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 08:21:05AM +0900, Doug Lerner wrote:
> From my weblog at:
>
> http://injapan.net/.1c3f2ca5
>

> Data is from January TechNewsWorld.com:
>
> There is a general feeling that Linux is increasing in use as a desktop
> system and Mac OS is declining. That is true, but the question is when will
> Linux overtake Mac OS as number 2, behind Windows?
>
> Some people say next year. But if you look at some interesting stats, it may
> have already happened.
>
> Linux is about at a 2% market share. Mac is considered to be somewhere in
> the 2-3% range now, down from 3.5% in January and 3-5% last year.
>
> That alone is a frightening statistic. It represents something like a 50%
> loss in market share over one year!
>
> But the more interesting statistic is the percent of Internet-connected
> computers using OS X. It is estimated that this market share is only 0.6%.
> That already places it well behind Linux.

Well certainly a large part of the problem is the poor performance of the
Mac desktop lineup.  I have a powerbook, and love it.  OS X is a pleasure to
use for most things, and while I am perfectly happy in (linux|(Net|Free)BSD)
as a desktop box OS X has them beat.  I don't have a tower however largely
because up until the G5 the processor they haven't been up to snuff.  I'm
already drooling over the new G5 towers.  even so, Apple is still going to have a
hard time making up ground simply because of the economy these days.  I will
get a Mac because that is an excess I can afford.  I could build a very
functional computer for much less should I need to however, and I suspect
that is the position the masses are facing.

--Matt