Re: [tlug] Questions about Japanese input

On 8/9/03 8:01 PM, "Scott Robbins" <scottro@example.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 07:51:50PM +0900, Doug Lerner wrote:
>> On 8/9/03 7:43 PM, "Scott Robbins" <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>>

>> Still waaaay confused. On that page, it says:
>>
>> -----
>> To be able to use other applications besides vi and pico, such as Sylpheed,
>> an excellent GUI email client, do the following. In an xterm or kterm type
>>
>> kinput2 -canna &
>>
>> (If you've already got kinput2 running as mentioned above, you can skip that
>> line)
>>
>> export LC_ALL=ja_JP
>> export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
>> export XMODIFIERS='@example.com=kinput2'
>> -------
>>
>> Well, kinput2 is running and in kterm I can enter Japanese. But even after
>> entering the three "export" lines above, I still can't use Japanese input in
>> Mozilla, for example. SHIFT-SPACE doesn't do anything in that app. I even
>> started it from the input line.
>

> Hrrm, do you mean mozilla's mailer?

No - Mozilla itself. I would be at a web page with a form that I know (from
using my Mac) that supports input in Japanese. But entering SHIFT-SPACE
doesn't do anything except enter a normal single-byte space.

>> Are you saying that *in addition* to those three export lines I *also* need
>> to call the app using the script above?
>
> No, that would be superfluous--but mozilla would have to be called from
> ~that~ terminal as opposed to another one.

A followup question if I am not straining your patience too much - is that
script of yours, then, instead of those three export lines? In what
situations would you use it?

Thanks again. I do appreciate your help here!

doug