Re: [tlug] Questions about Japanese input

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:08:16PM +0900, Doug Lerner wrote:

> (1) How to always have kinput2 running, without typing in the above
> commands?
>
> (2) It seems you always have to switch out of kinput2 with SHIFT-SPACE to
> enter a line return and go to the next line, and then switch back again to
> keep on typing. Is that true?
>
> (3) I can't get the same SHIFT-SPACE to work in Evolution or Mozilla. Is
> there some general technique?

Shawn answered in part--don't know if you've seen my page on this whole
thing at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

I haven't had that trouble with the return that you mention, and as
Shawn said, a script is usually the easiest way to get these things
working.

One bit of advice for future posts, it helps to know what distribution
of Linux that you're using, as many distributions have their own little
variations.

It's gotten far easier than it used to be. I remember when I first began
with Linux,  when Mr. Oda's howto was the way to do it, and even a
grouch like Mr. Byrne told me not to feel badly about being intimidated
by that howto.  It's still not quite as easy as Mac, or even MS at this
point (imho around Win2k, MS pretty much came up to Mac's level with
Japanese input, though alt+~ is a more awkward key combo than Mac's
command space.

For the heck of it, I'm going to recommend switching from kterm to rxvt
(and others would probably recommend mlterm).  However, that of course,
is personal taste.

Anyway, hope the page mentioned above helps you with the problem with
Mozilla and Evolution.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: What's Big Blue doing anyway?
The Judge: I am preparing.
Spike: It's interesting to me that preparing looks a great bit
like sitting on your ass.