Re: [tlug] an amusing idea

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 20:41, Tim Hurman wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 08:06:33PM +0900, Botond Botyanszki wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:46:55 +0100
> > Tim Hurman <kano-tlug@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I had a little idea a few moments ago
> > You are late. ;)
> >
> > > If a large number of Linux users each bought a few shares,
> > http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=71886&cid=6495652
> >

> DOH! :)

It is also a bit naive, If large numbers of people tried to buy SCO
shares at the moment, the price of SCO shares would skyrocket, and large
companies would take that as a vote of no confidence in IBM's legal
position.  A fare few would return to SCO which would give them the
finances to run further court cases.

The worst potential situation for SCO would be if the case looked like
it would drag on forever with no substantial financial gain.  No
shareholder is going to be interested in supported a failing company in
a protected court case.

You can see both companies appreciate this by contrasting their public
response, IBM's approach to the whole situation has been "nothing to see
move along", contrast this with SCO'S "The sky is falling".