Re: [tlug] localedef builds sjis locale but the result doesn't work

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:20:49 +0900
"Norman Diamond" <ndiamond@example.com> wrote:

> But the following commands still displayed mojibake:
>
>   LANG=ja_JP.SJIS vim sjisfile
>   LANG=ja_JP.sjis vim sjisfile
>   LC_ALL=ja_JP.SJIS vim sjisfile
>   LC_ALL=ja_JP.sjis vim sjisfile
>
> I also tried opening various new kterm's, gnome-terminal's, and xterm's

I tested things with this env:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=ja_JP.SJIS
LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.SJIS
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8

and gnome-terminal (gnome2) did display sjis (cat sjisfile) properly while
kterm and xterm couldn't.

Gnome-terminal2, because of its server model, won't use the new LC envvars
if you already have other gnome-terminal windows running. This means that
you should start gnome-terminal from a different xterm after closing them
all.

--
B0Ti.