[tlug] localedef builds sjis locale but the result doesn't work

In Red Hat 9, which has the necessary prerequisite files, I did both of
these commands:

  localedef -f SHIFT_JIS -i ja_JP -c /usr/lib/locale/ja_JP.SJIS
  localedef -f SHIFT_JIS -i ja_JP -c /usr/lib/locale/ja_JP.sjis

But the following commands still displayed mojibake:

  LANG=ja_JP.SJIS vim sjisfile
  LANG=ja_JP.sjis vim sjisfile
  LC_ALL=ja_JP.SJIS vim sjisfile
  LC_ALL=ja_JP.sjis vim sjisfile

I also tried opening various new kterm's, gnome-terminal's, and xterm's with
various settings, and running vim in those, but the results were still
mojibake, and sometimes there were warnings from the terminal emulators
themselves.  Especially weird was doing something like this:
  LANG=ja_JP.SJIS LC_ALL=ja_JP.SJIS kterm
and then in the kterm doing this:
  locale
and seeing that LANG was ja_JP.eucJP though the rest of the locale was
ja_JP.SJIS.

What am I doing wrong?