Re: [tlug] Mojibake in kword and abiword

Michael Doughty <tlug@example.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 04:51:39PM +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:
>> > I created an .rtf document in Monopolysoft Word 2000.  Both kword and
>> > abiword display its contents as mojibake.  I've even done this:
>> >   bash% LANG=ja_JP.eucJP LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP sh
>> >   sh% locale
>> >   [all Japanese]
>> >   sh% kword x.rtf
>> >   sh% abiword x.rtf
>> >
>> I don't know for certain, but I am pretty sure that Word 2k will use
>> unicode for the encoding of rtf documents, not EUC.  The other option
>> is SJIS, but I am pretty sure the 2000 products were using unicode.

This is correct.

>> So, give this a shot again, but this time try something other than
>> eucJP for your locale.

I don't know if kword or abiword would handle them. AFAIK the Unicode
code-points in the rtf documents are stored as decimal numbers in
entity-like thingos.

Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:00:23PM +0900, Michael Doughty wrote:
> >unicode for the encoding of rtf documents, not EUC.  The other option
> >is SJIS, but I am pretty sure the 2000 products were using unicode.
>
> Internally, 2K and XP use Unicode, but I'm not sure if they've=20
> unified that up to the display level yet.  I suspect not,

Er, I think they are.

> b/c
> earlier versions of Windows are still out there in large numbers,
> as are earlier versions of MS Office.  In other words, MS has a large
> installed base that doesn't grok Unicode, only SJIS, so the documents
> he's seeing are probably that.

Non sequiter. The Whirred documents are in Unicode. The display API is
featured enough for Whirred and Whinedoze to work out what to display
and which fonts to engage.

You can put a lot of Unicode only stuff in Whirred documents and they
display fine. There's no Shit_JIS stage involved.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen (j.breen(a)csse.monash.edu.au  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298