Re: [tlug] Re: Unicode (Was: apache2 setup and japanese)

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:59:11 +0900
Shimpei Yamashita <shimpei@example.com> wrote:

> A few questions, from a complete amateur....
>
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 12:45:28AM +1000,
> Jim Breen wrote:
> >
> > Things don't "look" like anything in Unicode. The look comes from the
> > font. You choose the font. You buy a Chinese-style Unicode font where
> > the hanzi look Chinese, or you buy a Japanese-style font. The codes
> > stay the same.
>
> Does that mean that a multilingual text document, rendered with a single
> Unicode font, may only "look" correct in one Asian language at a time?

I have to agree with this.  If you want to create a Japanese-Chinese
dictionary in Unicode then there need to be separate codes for each
character that looks the same to a Westerner's eyes but very different to
the Japanese and Chinese.  I think a lack of sensitivity to these types of
problem are a bigger problem than a "nationalistic" desire to have one's
own language look like one's own language.

--
simon colston
simon@example.com