Re: [tlug] Backup to IDE HD instead of Tape

patrick.niessen@example.com wrote:
> Jim O'Connell wrote:
> > I saw those SATA drives at Com/3 on DIY, IIRC.  Takaiyo!
> > Did you consider going with the 120GB disks until the price
> > comes down
> > on the 250's? I figured that by the time they fill the 120GB,
> > the 250GB
> > will be about 10,000 yen.

The 250G has bigger cache.  Right now the best value seems to be the
Hitachi/IBM 180GXP 180G/8M cache.

> I considered the 200 GB ones as the 250GB were not stocked well.  The compaq
> case is pretty cramped so I needed to go for the biggest ones to get 500GB
> with Raid 5.  The controller can accomodate up to 8 drives, so if I change
> the case I can add some more storage later.  The idea is to be able to pass
> off the additional HDs as "replacement/upgrade" so that they do not go into
> the Asset register, but are instead booked as "Accesories" into accounts.
> So I can buy more of them spread over the year / next year.  I definetly
> need a hot and a cold spare, but wait a while for strategic reasons ;-)

I'm thinking to getting one, but is hold off by the warranty policies.
I believe the SATA 250G has only 1 year while the PATA version has 3
years -- from Maxtor, that is.  In Akiba the length seems to vary with
the store, and since you can't deal with Maxtor directly choosing the
store is important too.

Hitachi announced a new line of HDD, 7K250, too, so I'm waiting to see
what warranties store will give on those, and for further price drops :)

Stephen