RE: [tlug] What to do when a hard disk goes during the rainy season

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Tony Laszlo wrote:

> For some reason, I couldn't get Gentoo to compile on the
> machine. Tried all stages, and various things for about
> two days. But the machine shut down in the middle of the
> operation each time, for some reason. ...

Could this be caused by a BIOS power management setting?
You might try disabling sleep and suspend in the machine's
BIOS built-in setup.

I recently tried running Folding@example.com on my old desktop, on
Turbolinux 8 (kernel=2.4.18).  Sleep was enabled in the BIOS.
My machine automatically went to sleep even though the Folding
task was running.  After I disabled sleep using BIOS built-in setup,
my machine would run all night.

(My desktop is a Pentium 166 MMX with 80MB memory. It took 70
minutes to complete a Folding frame - too slow to meet the
deadline of 400 frames in two weeks.)

Best regards,
jimb.