Re: [tlug] The Archives Password

And Thus Spake Botond Botyanszki <botond@example.com> (on Tue, 24
Jun 2003 23:04:59 +0900):

> IMHO this is a bit to much paranoia. Some other lists don't give a !"#$
> about protecting emails

That's their problem.

> Even if the password was there in plain, what'd be the chance of tluggers
> getting spammed?

Pretty high.

According to a study carried out by I forget which agency (but I can find
out if you like) in preparation for the FTC conference on spam which
happened earlier this month, 'bots harvesting e-mail addresses on pages is
the #1 source of "leakage".

For those who are interested, you can download the videos of the conference
here (beware, there's a total of about 6GB of data...):

http://bruce.pennypacker.org/ftc/

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683