Re: [tlug] The Archives Password

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:38:05 +0900
"A. Sajjad Zaidi" <sajjad@example.com> wrote:

> > Isn't it possible to modify the .htaccess file's "AuthName" line to
> > contain a more helpful prompt?
> It is possible, but the reason we didn't use plain html to display the
> username and password in the first place was to defeat spiders that may
> get them. The same spiders may be smart enough to get this info as well.
IMHO this is a bit to much paranoia. Some other lists don't give a !"#$
about protecting emails (example: debian mailing lists and bug tracking
system) while tlug seems to fall on the other edge. I don't mean this is
bad, but tlug's paranoia causes an unintentional spam of people asking
about this password every other day. Even if the password was there in
plain, what'd be the chance of tluggers getting spammed?

> If you do have other ideas to make this better, please post them here or
> on the admin list.
Why don't you just put the password in the .htaccess in some slightly
cryptic form, e.g. "t l u g" and say cut the sapces, or some similar trick
that will keep the robots from accessing the archieves.