[tlug] kanji input --- alternatives available?

Hello,

My Japanese wife is complaining that the kanji selections available to
choose from (using redhat 8 japanese language support) are too frequently
goofy and old fashioned and that proper selections are not available.  Is
there a difference in terms of distributions_

She likes the Windows package, and I don't wonder if it's not a familiarity
thing but she is complaining (mildly) so...

Is there a way for one to go about getting a better set of lexical
selections?  Is she just being sneaky do you think and trying to force me
into letting her boot into windows!?!

Using canna server and kinput2 if it makes a difference.

--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/