[tlug] Japanese input problem, what am I forgetting?

I cannot seem to open input. System is debian unstable. I think I'm just
forgetting something crucial:

- jserver seems to start. (So does cannaserver, but I'm more accustomed
  to Wnn. Anyway, I tried with canna too, it doesn't work either.)
- fonts do work, I can view Japanese text in kterm, I've installed about
  every available font package.
- environment variables:
  LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
  LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP
  LC_MESSAGES=ja_JP.eucJP
  XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2
- "kinput2 -xim -kinput -wnn -jserver localhost &" starts kinput2, but
  it doesn't say anything; only on the first run it complains about the
  wnn .h files, and creates them. It's been a while since I've last
  used it, but I have the feeling that it should output at least something.
- kterm starts, but I can't do Japanese input.

Everything is installed from the debian packages.

I think the problem is with kinput2, but since it has no "verbose"
switch, I can't tell what's wrong... It shouldn't be a permissions
issue, since it's the same for root.

It could also be a keyboard issue, but I haven't mapped shift-space
anywhere else...

TIA.

--
Tapio Peltonen <tappel@example.com>

This novel is not to be tossed lightly aside, but to be hurled with
great force.
                -- Dorothy Parker