[tlug] OT Cisco Errors...

Ok, not only is this OT, it is kinda RTFM territory, but I can't seem to
find the right google incantation so I am taking the cheap route and making
use of the fact that this list is populated by people with a great deal
of network knowledge.

So here goes:  I have a switch with various ports that are posting very
large numbers of errors.  For example, one port showed

Port  Align-Err  FCS-Err    Xmit-Err   Rcv-Err    UnderSize
----- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------
 7/47    5911636     212164          0          0         0

 Port  Single-Col Multi-Coll Late-Coll  Excess-Col Carri-Sen Runts     Giants
 ----- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------- ---------
  7/47          0          0          0          0         0   6304093       165

And then 1 hour later, showed this:

Port  Align-Err  FCS-Err    Xmit-Err   Rcv-Err    UnderSize
----- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------
 7/47    5911636     281415          0          0         0

 Port  Single-Col Multi-Coll Late-Coll  Excess-Col Carri-Sen Runts     Giants
 ----- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------- ---------
  7/47          0          0          0          0         0   6305817       198

As you can see, in that one hour, it racked up ~70,000 FCS-Errors,
1,800 Runts, and a measly 33 Giants.  So my question is, how bad is this,
and what is it indicitive of?

It looks pretty damn bad, but I don't have any experience with switch
management, so I thought I would go for some experienced opinions.

Transfer speeds over ports like these are of course horrible, and I am
about to begin the arduous task of cable checking, but I thought I
would get this out first.

Thanks,

Michael