Re: [tlug] Re: [mew-int 01432] A french page about Mew

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 23:32, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> And Thus Spake Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> (on Mon, 26 May 2003 21:21:29
> +0700):
>
> > Why doesn't it bother me?  B/c if I wrote a page in language A, and anyone
> > demanded that I translate it to language B (which they knew I could read
> > and write), I would give them a suggestion about what they could do (and
> > it probably wouldn't be "translate it yourself" ;-)  ).
>
> If somebody /demanded/ that I translate a howto or any other documentation
> into another language then yes, I too would give them explicit, graphical
> recommendations on what they should do with the document, the paper it's
> printed on, the printer, and (above all) the power cable.
>
> If, OTOH, somebody /requested/ a translation, I would consider it if my
> knowledge of the "destination" language was sufficient.
>
> What did strike me as odd was the guy going into an English-speaking forum
> and saying he won't translate his work into English. It just seems pretty
> characteristic of French national arrogance.

I don't really understand your problem.  Wouldn't it have been more
arrogant to have simply not mention that he was writing a related
Howto.  Perhaps it was intended as an invitation for translators.

--
Edward Middleton <edwardmiddleton@example.com>