Re: [tlug] hardware

On Mon, 19 May 2003 22:09, Jonathan Q wrote:
> Stuff to avoid:
>
> - Any NIC with a Realtek chip (has a little crab logo on it; most budget
> cards these days use them, so look for one that doesn't).  Via Rhine is

This caught my eye, I use netcomm and surecom cards with realtek 8139C or
8139D chips on them in a few machines.

These are easy to wander down the city street (in Melbourne, Australia) and
buy. They're about $20 AUD, but even so they weren't chosen for the price so
much as because we've never had a problem with them (even with several in a
single machine).

However with other NICs (admittedly not the intel on motherboard ones) we've
had issues with the kernel modules (tulip of course, some of the 3cxxx ones)
intermittently failing. Failing such that the ether interface is still
visible to the tools, but they no longer transmit/receive.

Is there a specific reason you condemn realtek?

-- Sam

Sam Tilders
sam@example.com

Cogito Ergo Sum - I think, therefore I am.  (Descartes)