Re: [tlug] WMP on Linux

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 00:06, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> And Thus Spake Pietro Zuco <pietro@example.com> (on Mon, 05 May 2003 16:43:47
> +0200):
>
> > Give a read at this:
> > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-990526.html
>
> China should be more worried about stopping the gigabytes of spam pouring
> daily out of the country than about viewing the source code of Windows.
> Also, just because the Chinese government has seen the source code doesn't
> mean that the source code is "open". Is Micro$oft going to show the Chinese
> each and every change made? I don't think that's a practical option. Is the
> Chinese government going to be able to have bits it doesn't like changed? I
> doubt it.

I think the Chinese politicians involved are really just milking M$ to
cut costs.  Fundamentally they want something that is controlled in
China, this will be a sticking point for M$.  The fact that M$ is
prepared to relinquish such control is more an indictment of their
predicament.

> In any event, it shows us all where Micro$oft's loyalty lies: with the
> highest bidder. It also shows us that Bill Gates would sell his mother to a
> lab for experiments if it helped tread on Open Source software.

M$ loyalties are to its share holders who started getting dividends
because it is no longer a growth company, whether it can become a
utility company is yet to be seen.

--
Edward Middleton <edwardmiddleton@example.com>