Re: [tlug] Auto-updating documentation?

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Jonathan Q wrote:

> I'm writing site docs for our company server/firewall, and would like to
> be able to stick some hooks in them to dpkg so that it will return
> the current installed versions of packages referred to in the documentation.
>
> My end goal is to be able to produce online docs in HTML format, and
> possibly postscript format for hardcopy output.  From the same process
> would be ideal but if I have to do it twice, that's OK.
>
> Putting the docs into a shell or Perl script that would output
> what I want is one way to do it, but is it the best way?  Has
> anybody done something like this before?  How did you approach it?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I dont have debian box here but this is the idea. I did it for rpm-based
linux distro but you can migrate easily... Here is the source:

-------- cut here ------------
#!/bin/bash

#Name of index file
LISTFILE=list-index.html

# query the rpm database and build the rpm list index
echo "" > $LISTFILE
for i in `rpm -qa`;
do
done

# build the detail indexes
for i in `rpm -qa`;
do
    echo "<a name=\"$i\"><h1>Detail for $i</h1>" >> $LISTFILE
    echo "<br>Infomation: " >> $LISTFILE
    echo "<pre>" >> $LISTFILE
    rpm -qi $i >> $LISTFILE
    echo "</pre>" >> $LISTFILE