[tlug] Auto-updating documentation?

I'm writing site docs for our company server/firewall, and would like to
be able to stick some hooks in them to dpkg so that it will return
the current installed versions of packages referred to in the documentation.

My end goal is to be able to produce online docs in HTML format, and
possibly postscript format for hardcopy output.  From the same process
would be ideal but if I have to do it twice, that's OK.

Putting the docs into a shell or Perl script that would output
what I want is one way to do it, but is it the best way?  Has
anybody done something like this before?  How did you approach it?

TIA,

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Q
GPG key ID: ACC46EF9 (E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9)