Re: [tlug] Red Hat 9: A warning

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 10:14:44AM +0200, David Oftedal wrote:

> When I installed it recently, it failed to boot on the first run.
> Apparently my file system was "read only", and that was that. But apart
> from that, it's managed to permanently store the error in such a way
> that even if I delete my root partition again and again, the error
> reappears. So now I can't run ANYTHING Red Hat-based, including Red Hat
> 8 and Mandrake.

How did you 'delete' the root partition? I haven't seen anything yet
that can stand upto 'dd'.

> The error might have manifested itself when I specified ext2 as the fs
> for my root partition.

That shouldn't make any difference. What errors do you get when it fails
to boot? Maybe its just wrong boot loader settings.

> So before you install Red Hat 9, be prepared to run Gentoo Linux for the
> rest of your life.

My experience has been different though not a lot better. The interface
is very nice and polished, specially anti-aliasing, but the installer
destroyed my monitor (slightly old, though not *that* old) as soon as
it went into gui mode. Probably probed a little too much.

After completing the install and rebooting, both the mouse and keyboard
were not recognized and the only way I can use the machine now is
through VNC though it isn't really a problem.

One more thing I noticed is that folding@example.com gets killed within a
minute after starting. I haven't investigated this much, but I suspect
some new process management 'feature' is responsible. Since its an smp
machine, TLUG is losing a few units because of the problem.

Speaking of which, TLUG is now in the top 200 teams:

http://folding.stanford.edu/teamstats/team13160.html

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D7AD0E13