Re: Re: [tlug] Business applications of Linux

> From: Henri Servomaa <henri_servomaa@example.com>
> Date: 2003/04/11 金 午後 02:26:08 GMT+09:00
> To: tlug@example.com
> Subject: Re: [tlug] Business applications of Linux
>
> patrick.niessen@example.com wrote:

I'm uncomfortable revealing too much about my client's operations on a board like this, but here's what I can tell you:

The DBs in question are not all that big.  They support systems that are best described as web-based and OLTP-like.  The DB objects total just under 1 gig for each DB (there are 3 of them).

When the executives of this company asked me my opionion on upgrading Oracle from 8i to 9i I said "Go for it, but if you're considering that kind of DB migration you might as well switch to Linux servers in the process and you'll save a bundle between the 'for Linux' pricing structure from Oracle and the fact that Linux servers will be less expensive to maintain than the HP-UX servers."

The new hardware has been ordered, but it hasn't been delivered yet.  I have not worked with Miralce Linux before, but it is based on Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1 .

To sum it up: less expensive hardware and lower licensing costs drove the decision to swith to Linux.