Re: [tlug] Python/RHN-applet problem

Quoth simon colston (Sat 2003-04-05 02:48:06PM +0900):

> On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 14:05:57 +1000 (EST)
> Jim Breen <jwb@example.com> wrote:
>
> > On my two RH7.3 systems, I am a subscriber to RHN, and get regular
> > updates through the up2date system. I have been using the
> > (automatically- installed) applet on the task bar that turns red when
> > there are updates to install.
> >
> > A few days ago the applet on my notebook system died.
>
> If you are a subscriber to RHN then you probably know more about this than
> I do but, I remember reading somewhere that the lifetime of RedHat 6.x and
> 7.x has ended and that there would be no more bug/security fixes for these
> systems.  Maybe that could explain the death of your up2date applet.

7.3, is, AFAIK, still supported. Also, having the up2date taskbar applet
segfault to inform the users that their version ain't supported any more is
in poor form, and Red Hat is generally pretty consumer-friendly.

Can't answer your question, Jim, but I had the same experience with Red Hat
8.0, when I was trying to install it for my wife. I found RH8.0 pretty
lacking in the end.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967