Re: [tlug] small redhat 9 review :)

And Thus Spake Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung@example.com> (on Mon, 31 Mar 2003
19:14:08 +0900 (JST)):

> 2. Redhat has built a lot of redhat-config* tools by their own. They are
> small but does the work well. Very good for newbies.

Do they do the job properly or are they basically the result of splitting
the dreaded linuxconf into separate modules?

> 3. mp3 support for xmms has been removed

I think that was the case already with RH8 (psyche).

> 6. default web server is httpd 2.0.44 . 1.3 is gone.

That's a shame since the use of PHP with Apache 2 is still not recommended.
ISTR reading documentation on php.net to that effect, although that was back
in the days of PHP 4.2.0 and things might have changed by now.

> 7. The only problem I got is that: Each time I start mpg123
> /path/to/some/mp3file.mp3( mpg123 is built from source) I got an error
>
> ----
> Device busy or error
> ----
>
> and I have to run Redhat's Sound Detect first, then start mpg123.
> Any ideas?

Maybe you have to modprobe the modules for your sound card explicitly. Once
you've found out which modules are needed you can list them in /etc/mudules
to have them loaded when the box boots.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683